2014 - ACT Sport Hall of Fame
After starting her football career in 1987 at Belnorth it didn’t take long for Amy Wilson’s ability to shine through. She was selected for the ACT rep training squad at U/14 level and soon moved through to the Australian U/16 squad after the Nationals in Bendigo. In 1995 Wilson became the youngest player to be selected for the Matildas at 15 and toured New Zealand, the start of an International career that lasted eight years until retirement in 2003 spanning the 1999 and 2003 FIFA World Cups.
Coming back in 2014 for Belconnen United Wilson has been an inspiration to her younger team mates.
Amy’s soccer timeline is as follows:
- 1987 played Belnorth U9s
- 1993 played U/16 nationals in Bendigo, selected for U/16 Australian side
- 1995 youngest player selected for the Matilda’s
- 1995 captained ACT U/16 women, which won the ACT’s first national title in Hobart
- 1996 co-captained ACT U/l9 women, who won the national title at the Gold Coast
- 1999 played for Australia at Women’s world cup
- 2000 played in Sydney Olympics
- 2003 played in Women’s world cup in the USAPlayed for the Matilda’s for eight years from 1995-2003
- 2004 international guest player with Greensboro Twisters in the USA
- 2010 appointed assistant coach Canberra United
- 2011 Belconnen United ACT Women’s Div 1 champions