In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

Case management after court

Case management after court

Case management after court [PDF 210KB]

If you’re reading this, it probably means that you’ve been involved with the police, or the Court. This is called ‘being in contact with the youth justice system’.

When this happens, the Court can place you on a community-based order.

This means you are still in the community but have conditions to keep to, and you may have to be supervised by the Child and Youth Protection Service.

Sometimes the Court (or the police), can say you have to go to Bimberi Youth Justice Centre – this is called detention.

If you are on a community-based order or in Bimberi for more than one or two nights, you will be given a ‘case manager’.

What does a case manager do?

A case manager is someone who works with young people who come into contact with the child protection or youth justice system. It’s their job to help you to comply with what the Court says you have to do. This includes meeting regularly with your case manager.

Your case manager will work with you to:

Making a plan

If you will be in contact with the youth justice system for some time, an important part of having a case manager is making a case plan. This is an agreement between you and your case manager to help get you back on track, and keep you from becoming involved with police again. The plan sets out goals and what you need to do to achieve them.

This might be talking to other people about programs that can help you with different parts of your life. It might also mean learning ways of doing things and how to make positive choices.

Your case manager will listen to you, and make sure that you have a say about what is in your plan. You can keep a copy of your plan, and it can be changed if it’s not working to reach goals.

Contacting your case manager

Your case manager will give you a phone number so you can keep in touch with them.

If you are under supervision in the community, you and your case manager will talk about how often, and where you meet. This might be each week or fortnight, at your case manager’s office (in Civic), or somewhere else.

If you are in Bimberi, your case manager will talk to you after you arrive, and meet with you regularly after that. You can also contact your case manager at other times by phone.

Where it’s possible, you will have the same case manager after you leave Bimberi.

Talking to someone after hours

If you are worried about not being able to meet the conditions of your order (or are on bail) or would like some after hours support, you can ring the After Hours Bail Support Service (this is a free call - phone number is on the back).

There are other services in the community that can help you. The Child, Youth and Family Gateway can link you with these services (phone number is on the back).

Who can help if things are not working well

If you are unhappy with decisions that affect you, want something fixed or feel you are not being treated fairly, there are people who can help.

Things to remember

Your case manager has rules for what they do, and how they support you. This means helping you to stick to what the Court says - and what the law says about keeping children and young people safe.

Your case manager:

Contact numbers

My Child and Youth Protection Service
case manager is:

Phone: 6207 1069
Address: 11 Moore Street, Canberra ACT

After-hours crisis and Bail Service 1300 556 279
(available weekdays, 5pm to 2am or weekends and
public holidays, 4pm to 2am)

Freecall 1800 178 277


Child, Youth and Family Gateway
1800 647 831
Children and Young People Commissioner
6205 2222