These awards acknowledge the outstanding contributions of those who, in the past 12 months, have actively supported cultural diversity and made a significant impact in promoting community harmony.
The five award categories include:
- Outstanding Volunteer Award for Services to the Community;
- Organisational Excellence Award for Services to the Community through Social Enterprise, Business, the Public Sector or Education;
- ACT Multicultural Champion of the Year Award;
- ACT Multicultural Honour Roll Award; and
- Outstanding Excellence Award in the area of Creative Services and Experiences for the Community through Art, Media or Culture.
The Australian Capital Territory Multicultural Awards recognise the valuable contributions and eﬀorts of Canberrans who support and promote a united, harmonious and inclusive community, and those who are committed to increasing community awareness of the beneﬁts of multiculturalism in the ACT.
The awards aim to:
- Recognise the eﬀorts and achievements of individuals, organisations, government, social enterprises, businesses and the media in strengthening the ACT’s multicultural identity.
- Raise the proﬁle of achievements and individuals for strengthening multiculturalism across the Territory and promoting positive community relations.
- Encourage excellence by individuals, organisations, education providers, government, businesses, social enterprises and the media in promoting the beneﬁts of multiculturalism in the ACT.
Nomination and Eligibility Requirements
- All nominations must meet the eligibility requirements, selection criteria and include contact information for at least one referee. Please refer to the details provided for each award category.
- Individuals and organisations can be nominated for more than one category.
- If a person or organisation has received an ACT Multicultural Award during the past three years, they are not eligible for the 2018 awards.
- A nominator may put forward a maximum of two nominations per award category.
- An assessment panel combined with community leaders will review all nominations before selecting award recipients for each category.
- Only successful recipients, nominators and unsuccessful nominees will be notified.
Linking with other Awards
All nominees will be entered for consideration for the Australian in the Year Awards, unless the nominee requests otherwise.
Nominee details will be forwarded for consideration for other ACT Government Awards when it is recognised that they have made contributions relevant to other ACT Government Awards, unless the nominator or nominee requests otherwise.
Categories in which you may nominate individuals or organisations:
Outstanding Volunteer Award for Services to the Community
The award is for an individual who has demonstrated outstanding volunteering efforts in the community in the past 12 months by:
- Championing the values of multiculturalism;
- Promoting community harmony and positive community relations; and/or
- Actively improving services and relationships with culturally and linguistically diverse communities including migrants, asylum seekers and refugees.
Organisational Excellence Award for Services to the Community through social enterprise, business, the public sector or education
This award is for social enterprises, businesses, educational services or government agencies which have in the past 12 months benefited the community through:
- Using a business strategy to achieve a social, cultural or environmental goal or another kind of community benefit.
- Implementing inclusive practices or initiatives to utilise and promote the benefits of multiculturalism.
- Utilising innovative marketing and communications strategies to engage multicultural audiences in the ACT community with services and/or products.
- Utilising a multilingual workforce to engage the diverse broader community.
- Implementing multicultural best-practice policies, including through service delivery models and/or human resources initiatives.
- Undertaking initiatives which promote multiculturalism or reduce prejudice and discrimination within government or the broader community.
- Teaching programs that incorporate local, national and international perspectives across the years of schooling and in early childhood settings.
- Programs/initiatives that raise awareness and support the educational and settlement needs of communities from migrant and refugee backgrounds.
- Programs/initiatives that promote social cohesion and community resilience in education settings.
ACT Multicultural Champion of the Year Award
This award is for an individual or organisation for their dedication to enhancing cultural diversity in the capital in the past 12 months through:
- Advocacy for an individual case.
- Delivering a program or service that assists migrants, refugees or asylum seekers.
- Operating a program, service, activity or event which promoted intercultural harmony and increased cultural awareness.
- Promoted multiculturalism and improved community relations.
- Developed programs, strategies or activities, which furthered cross-cultural and cross-religious harmony in the ACT.
- Undertook bilateral or multilateral initiatives which sought to increase understanding and acceptance between cultural groups.
ACT Multicultural Honour Roll Award
This award recognises:
- Newly arrived migrants and refugees who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in contributing to cultural diversity in the capital by making Canberra a more harmonious community during the past 12 months.
- Eligibility: you may nominate individuals who have arrived in Australia as a refugee, humanitarian entrant or newly arrived migrants and is a resident of the ACT.
Outstanding Excellence Award in the area of Creative Services and Experiences for the Community through Art, Media or Culture.
This award is for individuals or organisations which have made an outstanding contribution to promoting multiculturalism in the ACT community through art, media or cultural activities in the past 12 months by:
- Highlighting the values and beauty of cultural diversity through dance, music, theatre or other artistic mediums.
- Showcasing cultural diversity through visual artistic expression.
- Utilising or working in traditional or social media to highlight issues of social importance and/or contribute to an increasing level of awareness about the ACT’s cultural diversity.
How to prepare and submit your nomination
To nominate an individual or an organisation, follow the steps below:
- Complete the online application form and provide an overview (maximum of 300 words) of the nominee's achievements.
- Attach any relevant material to support your nomination. For example, scanned copies of printed articles or online stories, and CVs.
- Submit your nomination by the due date.
Staff from the ACT Office for Multicultural Affairs can provide support and guidance in the nomination process.
Contact us on 6205 2249 or email: MulticulturalCentre@act.gov.au