In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

How To Apply

Housing Applications

To apply for accommodation with Housing ACT, you should fill in a Registration for Assistance form.

What is Community Housing fact sheet [HTML] [PDF]

The application can be lodged by emailing or by phoning Housing ACT  on 6207 1150. There is no need to come into Gateway Services (Housing ACT shopfront).

When you fill out the Registration for Assistance form you need to provide a number of documents about yourself, all dependent children and other members of your household. These documents are:

  • proof of identity (you will need to bring sufficient pieces of identity to get 100 points, eg, your passport, current or expired less than three years, not cancelled, equals 70 points, Medicare card 25 points , Bills, eg. electricity, telephone 25 points per bill.
  • Government issue licence or permit eg/ drivers,
  • proof of residency in Australia and the ACT;
  • birth certificates;
  • proof of income and assets; and
  • proof of legal custody of dependent children.

Can I say where I would like to live?

Housing ACT has divided the suburbs of the ACT into a number of different regions. You may nominate three regions in which you would most like to live, in your order of preference. A map of the regions is available from the Applicant Services Centre. If you change your mind about where you want to live while you are on the applicant lists for accommodation you should advise the Gateway Services.


Can I decide on the size of the house or flat that I get?

No. The number of people in your household determines the size of accommodation to which you are entitled. Generally, no more than two people (depending on their ages, sexes and relationships) are expected to share a bedroom.

We will inform you of the size and type of housing (house or flat) you qualify for when you lodge the application.

What if I need special housing?

Housing ACT tries to provide housing with appropriate facilities for people with special needs such as a disability. However, it is not always possible to provide such housing in all regions and there is only limited funding to modify housing to meet special needs.


What if my circumstances change?

If you change your address while you are on the applicant lists, please tell us. Otherwise you may miss out on the opportunity to be allocated accommodation when you reach the top of the applicant lists.

If any other circumstances change (eg, your household income or family size), you should seek a review of your entitlements by the Gateway Services. You will need to provide proof that your circumstances have changed.

It is important to advise us of any changes because you may be eligible for a different type of home.

Points to remember

Your registration will date from the day Housing ACT accepts your application. Eligibility, including your income, may be checked at any time while you are on the applicant lists and it will be re-checked before an offer of housing is made.


Further Information

For copies of brochures contact Housing ACT.

Go to Application information