In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

What is community housing

What is Community Housing? Fact Sheet [PDF 515KB]

Community Housing is one type of Social Housing alongside Public Housing and Affordable Housing. It is long-term rental accommodation provided by not-for-profit community organisations. Community Housing organisations receive assistance from Government in the form of grants, loans, dwellings, or current operational funding.



Community Organisations

There are five (5) community housing organisations that provide long-term housing and report to the ACT Government.

These include:

There are some other community organisations, which offer a range of support services, and are also registered as community housing providers of short or long-term supported accommodation.


You can apply for community housing by completing an Application for Social Housing Assistance formExternal Link. On the form you will be asked to choose whether you wish to apply for community housing, public housing or affordable housing. You are able to apply for all three if you wish.

Application forms are available onlineExternal Link or the community housing organisations. See the ‘Registering for Social Housing Assistance’ Fact Sheet for more information.

Why should I apply for both community and public housing?

Applying for both community housing and public housing means you will be registered for both on the Social Housing Register managed by Housing ACT.

However, there are always more people wanting public and community housing than there is housing available. All people, once registered, go on the Social Housing Register and are allocated housing assistance on a needs basis and suitability to available properties.


The diversity of Community Housing Providers in the ACT reflects the range of individual household needs across the ACT community and is in keeping with one of the primary benefits of community housing - to provide for a diverse choice of housing options reflecting differing needs and preferences of clients. Community Housing Providers can provide personalised service assisting clients with issues relating to your tenancy.

Rent Payments

Most tenants of community housing pay similar rents to public housing tenants (25% of a household’s assessable income) or the market rent for that particular property, whichever is lower. Market rent is the amount of rent a household in the private rental market would expect to pay for a similar property in the area. Some community housing tenants pay a maximum of 74.9% of market rent.

Rent is payable two weeks in advance.


Community housing organisations often encourage tenant participation in their organisation. For example, some organisations invite tenants to sit on their management boards or management committees. This helps the community housing organisation to deliver the right services that meet the needs of tenants and communities.

Many community housing organisations also provide opportunities for participation in social events.

Further Information

For more information telephone Housing ACT on 133 427 or you may wish to contact the relevant community housing organisation directly. See the links to the Fact Sheets above.

You can also visit Gateway Services which is located at:
Nature Conservation House
Cnr Emu Bank & Benjamin Way
Belconnen Town Centre
(Open 9:00am to 5:00pm Mon to Fri)