In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

Tenant Relocation

Frequently Asked Questions

Tenant Relocation Frequently Asked Questions [PDF 501KB]

The ACT Government is undertaking a major long-term program of renewal through the replacement of a number of its older Housing ACT public housing properties.

Housing ACT has some of the oldest public housing in Australia. As these properties have aged, it has become more difficult to maintain them to a high standard and they no longer suit the needs of many housing tenants.

In order to offer good quality public housing that meets the needs of tenants now and into the future, tenants in these old properties will move to more modern public housing.

This investment in public housing is to replace ageing stock with better, modern more comfortable homes that meet tenants’ needs.

No current public housing tenant will become homeless as a result of this renewal program.

All public housing tenants will be offered alternative accommodation of at least the equivalent size and we will work through this process with them.

We will work closely with tenants and community organisations to ensure that every tenant that needs additional assistance is supported to move to their new home.

We will keep tenants informed of when things are happening and ensure their views are taken into account.

Questions and Answers

Q: Why am I moving?

A: Housing ACT has many properties that are old and were not built to meet modern standards for housing. To make sure that residents have a place to live that meets our standards for housing, especially in terms of energy efficiency and accessibility, some older public housing properties will be sold and more appropriate properties will be offered.

If you live in one of the following public housing properties, your residence is part of the public housing renewal and you will be relocated to a new home:

Q: When will I have to move?

A: You will only move once a suitable replacement home has been found for you. Housing ACT and community service providers will meet with you to complete a Resident Information Form which will identify your particular needs and preferences.

You will get plenty of notice (around 12 months) before any redevelopment activity is undertaken.

Q: What support will be available to me during the relocation?

A: A housing manager or a representative from a community service will work with you to understand your needs as you relocate to another property. Your housing manager will continue to work with you as you transition into a new place.The services that you normally receive will continue to be offered to you as you prepare to move into a new property. In addition, staff from Housing ACT and from community organisations operating in your area will be available for you to contact with any questions or concerns you have regarding moving to another community.

You will also be provided financial assistance to a maximum of $1750 for relocation costs.

Q: Am I guaranteed to get another public housing property?

A: Yes. If you are an existing public housing tenant, you will be offered an alternative public housing

Q: Can I move now?

A: As there are a limited number of public housing properties available, we need to help tenants move in a staged process. A housing manager and a community service representative will talk to you about your particular circumstances and you will be able to move once a suitable property has been found for you.

Q: Can I choose where I move to?

A: We will match your housing needs with available public housing homes and help you identify your needs and preferences including your preferred area, the number of people in your household and any special needs you may have. Keep in mind that even though we will try to best accommodate your preferences, a public housing property may not be available in the area you most prefer.

Q: Will my rent change?

A: Your rent is calculated on the basis of your household income. If you currently receive a rental rebate, your rent will not change after you relocate. If you pay market rent, it is possible your rent would change when you move. You will be advised if there is any expected difference between the rent you currently pay and the rent required at any relocation home you are offered.

Q: Will Housing ACT continue to maintain my property until I move?

A: Yes. All maintenance and repairs essential to ensure that your home and building are safe will continue to be carried out. Common area cleaning and landscape maintenance will be continued whilst tenants are still living in these properties.

Q: Who will pay for me to move?

A: Housing ACT will provide support and financial assistance to a maximum of $1750 for relocation costs. Moving costs covered by Housing ACT can include:

As well as providing you with assistance for the above relocation costs, Housing ACT can assist you with arranging these services. Where appropriate, and after talking with you, Housing ACT will make arrangements with suppliers directly.

Tenants are expected to arrange their own packing and unpacking. Some assistance may be provided where there are special circumstances.

Q: Can I take my pets?

A: You should mention any pets you have during your interview with Housing ACT. Your needs for relocation will be considered on an individual basis.
Regarding tenant responsibilities and caring for your pets in public housing please refer to the Animals and Pets Policy

Q: What will happen to my old home after I move?

A: Once all tenants have moved from the development, the site will be sold and the existing buildings will most likely be pulled down. The buyer of the site will be responsible for any future development.

The design and timing of any future building on the land will be managed by the buyer, including gaining approval for the new building.

Q: What will the new public housing development be like?

A: The design of new public housing that is being constructed as part of the public housing renewal program will be modern and meet the needs of current and future tenants.

Some of the design features will include:

Replacement homes are selected based on availability and how well they meet your needs and preferences. There is no guarantee that you will relocate to newly constructed public housing.

Q: Who can answer my questions?

A: In the months leading up to your move, information sessions will be held on site where community services and public housing staff will attend to answer your questions.

During your interview with Housing ACT to complete your Resident Information Form you will have the opportunity to ask any other questions you might have about your move.

You can also contact your Housing Manager for any questions that relate to your tenancy and the relocation process, including about special requirements for a disability or an illness.

Do not forget to also check your letterbox for updates on events or the relocation process.

For more assistance on Housing ACT matters, please telephone 133 427.