In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

Bond Loans Rental

Rental Bond Help for the Private Rental Market

Rental Bond Help Fact Sheet [PDF 498KB] [Word 1MB]

Rental Bond Help Application Form [PDF 452] [Word 464KB]

What is rental bond help?

Rental bond help is interest-free financial help that covers up to 100% of your rental bond. Housing ACT offer to pay the rental bond of eligible people wanting to start a tenancy in the ACT private rental market. The bond amount is then repaid to Housing ACT in small installments.

How does it work?

If you’re found eligible, Housing ACT will enter into a rental bond agreement with you. Under the agreement, we will pay your rental bond on your behalf. You then pay this amount back to Housing ACT in small installments (weekly, fortnightly or monthly) over an agreed period, up to 2 years.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for rental bond help, you need to:

What is the income threshold?

The income threshold is reviewed every 6 months and updated on fact sheets webpage

As of 25 February 2020, the annual income threshold is:

An additional allowance of up to $10,400 per year ($200 per week) may be added to the income threshold for each dependent child living in your household.

How do I apply?

Applications can be submitted electronically at My Account Rental Bond Help.

Alternatively, you can provide your application in person to Gateway Services at Nature Conservation House, 153 Emu Bank, Belconnen.

Applications can be made by single, or joint (two) applicants if you’re in a couple. If you’re planning on living in a share house, we recommend that each person responsible for providing a rental bond submit a separate (single) application for their share of the rental bond.

What information do you need from me?

When you apply you will need to provide proof of your identity and income. In some circumstances, you might also be asked to provide evidence of your asset holdings. The application form has more information about the documents you need to provide.

I haven’t found a house yet. Can I still apply?

Yes. Once approved, your application remains valid for up to 6 months. If more than 6 months has passed before you find your new home, you will be asked to provide updated information to allow us to reassess your application.

What happens at the end of my tenancy?

Like any other rental bond, when your tenancy ends, your landlord still has the right to claim for things like property damage or unclaimed rent. Housing ACT are not a party to these claims. If you do not agree with any claims being made, we recommend you seek legal advice or speak to the Tenants’ Union ACT about what to do next.

Once this occurs, if you still owe money to Housing ACT under your rental bond agreement then your share of the rental bond will be paid to Housing ACT in order to pay your outstanding balance. The money that is left over will then be returned to you via electronic funds transfer.

If you have already repaid your bond amount in-full to Housing ACT, you will receive your bond back directly from the Rental Bond Office (after any claims made by your landlord have been processed).

Need help?

For help, or more information about the rental bond help program, please call 133 427.

Please call 131 450 if you need translating and interpreting services.

If you are deaf or hearing impaired and require the National Relay Service, phone 133 677 then ask for 133 427

You can also view more frequently asked questionsExternal Link about rental bond help.