Developing a Disability Justice Strategy is an ACT Government election commitment. To assist in the preparation of the Strategy for the ACT Government’s consideration, we have sought qualified members to participate in a Disability Justice Reference Group.
What is the ACT Disability Justice Reference Group?
The Disability Justice Reference Group:
- provides advice on priority inclusions for the Disability Justice Strategy;
- fosters cooperative linkages across the justice and disability sectors in preparing the strategy;
- guides the strategy development and responds to issues that arise from consultation;
- ensures the lived experience of people with disability is central to the strategy development.
About the Disability Justice Reference Group
The DJRG will meet regularly between June 2018 to June 2019 as consultation on the Strategy and draft preparation occurs.
Disability Justice Reference Group members have one or more of the following qualities:
- lived experience as a person with disability who interacts with the justice system;
- experience or qualifications in disability services, the civil or criminal law or research on disability and the justice system; and/or
- experience or qualifications in youth justice, disability education, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engagement or community outreach.
The Disability Justice Strategy team from Office for Disability and Legislation Policy and Programs will provide support to the reference group.