Connect and Participate Expo
Latest Updates on the Expo
What is the Connect and Participate (CAP) Expo?
Testimonials (Inaugural Expo-2014)Where and when is it going to be held?
Why do we need a CAP EXPO?
Why would I go to the CAP EXPO?
What are the benefits for your group in having a stall at the Expo?
How does our group apply to participate at the EXPO and showcase the benefits of membership?
Who came to the Expo in 2015?
Who will be at the Expo in 2016?
What performances are on four stages?
Who are the event organisers?
Who are the event sponsors?
How can I get to the EXPO?
If you are on Facebook, please register a 'Like'.
The event in 2016 was well attended by people of all ages and abilities, eager to join a social group, learn new skills and make new friends, attended the CAP Expo.
The CAP EXPO is a community event that will showcase the range of opportunities available for Canberrans of all abilities and ages to join groups and build social connections around common interests. A huge range of possibilities for connection and participation in the community will be at one location on one day; from sport and recreation groups, to art, craft, music, leisure, cultural, performing arts, hobby, social and ‘special interest’ groups.
The Expo will open doors to new opportunities for all.
People attending can participate in ‘Come and Try’ activities, or simply talk with personnel from a wide variety of groups, to determine whether the activities on display are ones they might be interested in. This will allow attendees to make informed decisions about groups they’d like to get involved with, and provide them with immediate contacts and details about the groups’ requirements, and benefits of joining up.
Groups represented at the EXPO will have a valuable platform to promote themselves and show what they can offer to new members.
How much does it cost for entry to the Event?
The event is free!
A sample of feedback from Stall Holders:
- The contacts we have made are over and above our expectations. Thank you very much for inviting us to attend. Would definitely come again. Thanks for inviting us.
- A truly inclusive and engaging, fun and friendly community event with essence and potential of the Multicultural Festival. One that showcased the immense richness and diversity of clubs and groups, activities and opportunities that are open to people with a passion or an interest.
- I was very impressed and pleased with how the expo turned out! It was awesome! We already have new members for our group. Good way to foster relationships within the community.
- We found it hugely beneficial to be part of the event which from an outside perspective seemed to go off without a hitch! Well done to you and your team. We look forward to being a part of it again next year.
- Thank you for the opportunity to share with the community within your event. The day was a great success from my perspective; great vibe, great engagement and participation from all who came along. Looking forward to next year’s event.
- It was well organised, extremely well set out and inviting for all who came. We had many interested people and have enjoyed the whole day.
- The event was great and a fantastic opportunity to network with families and other stalls
- Range of stall holders was excellent and best we’ve seen. Positive vibe throughout the day.
A sample of feedback from patrons:
- An excellent idea and an excellent day, and a real eye-opener for anyone thinking Canberra might be a boring place to live!
- We haven't stopped talking about it and how much fun we had seeing what was on offer and trying new things. It’s important to know what’s on – no excuse for being lonely now.
- We were impressed with the variety of stall holders and performances
- I didn’t know lots of these groups existed. I got important information I couldn’t get elsewhere.
- This is great, and I would recommend it to others, because Canberra can be really hard to meet people
- There was something for everyone. I have 3 kids – 12, 9 and 1 – we all had fun
- It was a wonderful day and the vibe was so positive and happy on the day it was terrific!
- Lots of people got the opportunity to try new things and make new friends. You have given them the chance to take the first step.
When: the dates for 2017 have not yet been announced.
Where: Old Bus Depot Markets, 21 Wentworth Avenue, Kingston.
It is a well researched fact that participating in the community and connecting with others is essential for good health and wellbeing. The evidence is so compelling that the health risk associated with social isolation has been found to be comparable to that of cigarette smoking (House J S (2001) Social Isolation Kills, But How and Why?).
This has led to the assertion that “joining a community organisation for fun was better for health than giving up smoking” (Berkman and Syme, California).
Yet research from the ABS indicates we’re becoming more passive; spending more time watching audiovisual materials, and less time on active, interactive recreation. So ironically, as the need for engagement with our community becomes more apparent, our participation rates are actually dropping.
Even if people are interested in joining a group for recreation, it is difficult to know what options are available; nor do they know if they have an interest in a particular activity if they have no experience of it.
As Canberra grows, it can be a daunting task to invetsigate all the options available.
This Expo ‘does the work’ for people who would like to know more, and get started on a plan to participate and connect with others for enjoyment (with the added bonus of improving their health and wellbeing).
Parking is at a premium around the Kingston Foreshore, so why not consider using ACTION Park and Ride. There will be a FREE ACTION shuttle bus every 15 minutes from Fyshwick Park and Ride - Tom Price Street, opposite Mercedes Benz Canberra. The shuttle bus will take you to and from the CAP Expo.
Also ACTION buses have regular services that stop outside the Old Bus Depot Markets.
Please check the ACTION buses website for timetables
The Expo will provide opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to connect with social, recreational, cultural, artistic, and sporting groups. ‘Special interest’ groups that are often unknown to the community will also be represented at the Expo. Come along with an open mind and who knows what you might discover! There will be something for everyone!
The event will include demonstrations and ‘come and try’ opportunities. You can have direct conversations with key people from interest groups and organisations. They will provide much needed information so you can plan to meet with the group soon, or follow up afterwards.
- Showcase what your group offers
- Increase membership
- Will have immediate access to people who may be hard to reach
- Experience the benefits of being an inclusive organisation!
Who is Eligible to have a Stall at the Expo?
Eligibility will be based on whether your group, club or organisation:-
- is inclusive, and
- provides opportunities for members to meet regularly around a common interest.
How much does it cost to have a Stall at the CAP Expo?
The cost to stall holders in 2017 will be determined based on the following criteria:-
- Group or club with NO paid staff (ie. administered by volunteers)
- Group or club with paid staff
- Community Service Organisation that hosts regular groups who meet around a common interest.
Watch this space as applications come in! We are expecting 200 groups!
- 224 ACU (Army Cadet Unit)
- 2XX (98.3) Community Radio
- ABC Friends
- ACT and Region Machine Knitters Guild
- ACTMCRC (ACT Model Car Racing Club)
- ACT Bilingual Education Alliance
- ACT Companion Dog Club
- ACT Dragons Volleyball Club
- ACT Fencing Association
- ACT Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association
- ACT Landcare and Waterwatch
- ACT Miniature Enthusiasts
- ACT Playgroups
- ACT Rescue and Foster
- ACT Square Dance Society Inc.
- ACT Story Tellers Guild
- ACT Unicycle
- ACT Wildlife
- Ancient Arts Fellowship
- Andante Andante Choir (ABBA)
- Archery ACT
- Audacity Dance West Coast Swing Social Club
- Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Australian National Eisteddfod
- Bai Rui Taekwon-Do
- Basketball ACT
- Belconnen Arts Centre
- Belconnen Community Men’s Shed
- Belconnen Community Services
- Belconnen Model Aero Club
- BellyUp Bellydance
- Boundless Canberra
- Bowls ACT
- Brindabella Chorus
- Cactus & Succulent Society of the ACT
- Canberra Astronomical Society
- Canberra Archaeological Society
- Canberra Brass Inc
- Canberra Bike Polo
- Canberra Blues Society
- Canberra Bushwalking Club
- Canberra Calligraphy Society
- Canberra Choral Society
- Canberra City Band
- Canberra College of Piping and Drumming
- Canberra Dance Theatre
- Canberra Fisherman’s Club Inc
- Canberra Gaels
- Canberra Harmony Chorus
- Canberra Lapidary Club Inc
- Canberra Model Railway Club Incorporated
- Canberra Model Shipwrights Society Inc
- Canberra Ornithologists Group Inc
- Canberra Opera
- Canberra Parkour Association
- Canberra Photographic Society
- Canberra Potters Society
- Canberra Quilters Inc.
- Canberra Region Amateur Radio Club - CraRC
- Canberra Region Feltmakers
- Canberra Repertory
- Canberra Skeptics
- Canberra Speculative Fiction Guide
- Canberra Speleological Society
- Canberra Walkers - BungyPump walking group
- CanTeen ACT / SNSW - Cancer's Different in a Young Persons World
- Capital Field Archers
- Capital Petanque Club
- Capital Spirit DrillDance Inc
- Capital Tigers – Official Richmond Supporter Group
- Chopper Muay Thai
- Combined Community Councils
- Conservation Volunteers Australia
- COTA ACT (Council on the Aging)
- Country Women's Association of NSW, Canberra Branch
- COZMO (Capital of Australia Mandolinata Inc)
- Crossroads Christian Church
- CSD - INVOLVE
- Darryl's Den
- Das Zentrum Australian-German Institute Inc
- Deanne Calisthenics Club
- Diamond Phoenix Dragon Boat Club
- Do Chung Korean Martial Arts
- Dragons Abreast Canberra
- Embroiderers Guild ACT
- ENGAGE Sports
- FACT BMX CLUB
- Fair Go for Canberra
- Females in Training
- Folk Dance Canberra
- Friends of the National Arboretum Canberra Inc
- Girls and Boys Brigade Australia
- Girl Guides – ACT & SE NSW Region
- Greyhound Rescue
- Heart Foundation ACT
- Ice Hockey ACT
- Lions International
- Jumptown Swing
- Kids Football Club
- Kung Fu Wushu ACT
- Labrador Rescue Inc
- Monaro Folk Society
- Motorcycles Riders Association of the Australian Capital Territory Inc (MRA ACT)
- Music For Canberra
- Musicians of Note
- National Military RE-enactment Group (NMRG)
- National Trust of Australia (ACT)
- Navitas English
- Netball ACT
- Olympia Judo Club
- Omnia Adventurers and Social Club
- Open Gardens Canberra Incorporated
- Paperworks Inc.
- Pedal Power ACT
- Red Cross
- Rotaract and Interact
- Rotary Club of Tuggeranong Inc
- Rough Diamonds
- Royal Society for the Blind Canberra
- Sailability ACT
- Short Courses @CIT Solutions
- Silver Soles Cloggers Inc
- Sing Australia - "Majura" Group
- Sirens Cheerleaders
- Somchai Traning
- Southern Country Golf Association
- Southern Cross Club Social Art Group
- Southern Cross Garrison, 501st Legion (Star Wars)
- Southside Rock n Roll
- Strange Weather Gospel Choir
- Stock Sport Canberra
- Subsdance Dance Studio and Brazilian Entertainment
- Surly Griffin Morris
- Table tennis ACT
- TADACT (Technical Aid for the Disabled ACT)
- Tango Social Club of Canberra
- Taoist Tai Chi Society of Australia
- The Flamenco Centre, Canberra
- The Heraldry and Genealogy Society of Canberra
- The Heart and Soul Singers
- The Gospel Folk Choir
- Traditional Boat Squadron of Australia Inc
- Tuggeranong Tornadoes
- Tuggeranong 55 Plus Club Inc
- Tuggeranong Valley Band
- Ukulele Republic of Canberra (URoC)
- Usui Rei-ki Network
- Vegan ACT Inc
- VIEW clubs of Australian – Canberra and Surrounding Area
- Vikings Fishing Club Inc
- Volunteering and Contact ACT Community Information and Referral
- Warehouse Circus
- Woden Community Service
- Young Music Society Concert Band
Who are the event organisers?
The project is a partnership between government and non-government organisations. For more information, please contact Megan Campbell at email email@example.com or Maureen Howe at email Maureen.Howe@act.gov.au
The Connect and Participate Expo is proudly sponsored by the following:
- ACT Government (Disability ACT, ACT Health, ACT NDIS Taskforce)
- Red Cross
- Woden Community Service
ActewAGL (for use of shade equipement)
Independent Property Group Foundation (for supply of outdoor tables and seating)
Action Buses (for sponsoring a shuttle bus)
Softball ACT (for use of shade structures)
Barnes Removalists (for transport of seating and tables)